Monday, March 2, 2009

Eleven:eleven

I got a few rows done on the FIL scarf this morning as I was getting ready for work. Nothing spectacular, though, and I am really feeling quite tired now.

I just checked my cell phone, and it was 11:11. I make wishes at 11:11 when I see it on the clock. It's superstitious, but I do it anyway. It's why I always have at least one clock in my world that is not set to military time, though I just think military time sounds hawt when it's used. Don't ask. I love Roman numerals, too. What can I say? I'm a geek!

The night of my bachelorette party, my girls Karen, Barb, Heidi, and Carrie took me out to dinner @ California Pizza Kitchen, and drinks @ the top of the John Hancock Tower in downtown Chicago, and then we headed back to the hotel in the suburbs to stay up late and drink red wine and talk. A lot.


On the way back to the hotel, in the cab, Carrie said, "It's 11:11! Make a wish!" Not everyone was familiar with that, as I recall, but I made a wish that night. Not too much longer after that, Sean was surfing the web, and I saw this on his screen (originally from Postsecret, if I am following correctly).

And now, when I see 11:11, I remember wishing for a significant other who wanted to be with me for who I am, not who he wanted me to be. And I also remember how important my friends were to me surviving all that came before so that when I met Sean, I could recognize him as someone who wants to be with me for who I am. My life is so much the richer, not only for having Sean as an important part of it, but for the friends who stuck by me through so many things.

I don't have it all figured out. I'm not perfect, and neither is my life. I struggle, and doubt myself, just like everyone else. But I know that I am fortunate for all that I have, and now I'm making new friends here, as I will wherever I go.

At 11:11, I'm still wishing - for parts of myself as yet undiscovered, for friends I have yet to meet, for others in my life who could use a good thought or two through a rough spot.

What will you wish for when you see 11:11 on the clock?

No comments:

Post a Comment